Project DescriptionSolar Energy Resource and Suitability Study for Halifax 2014 Commonwealth Games
An objective of the Halifax 2014 Commonwealth Games Village proposal was to add a landmark sustainable energy feature to the project which would differentiate it from the competition. Our solar energy study was conducted to define the suitability of each of the Village structures (residential buildings, sports and service facilities, open spaces) for solar energy generation, and to advise on integrating solar energy use into the design. The study examined:
- Solar water heating for residential buildings, the competition pools and other sports and service facilities;
- Solar space heating of each facility;
- Building Integrated Photovoltaic PV power generation;
- Solar characteristics for landscaping and use of open spaces (illustrated);
- Street and sign PV lighting.